Here are a few things that I'm trying to implement myself each day that I think can help others too. Five simple things that can make a huge difference in how you look and feel about yourself. I dare you to do the same, and please tell us if you take the challenge! Oh, and there is a picture of me at the end of this post (um, an old one, but still). So Dare to Do These 5 Things..
1. COMPLIMENT SOMEONE: Whenever you notice something you admire about someone else, TELL THEM. Don't deny someone the joy of receiving a compliment. You never know, your kind words may be exactly what that person needs at that moment, and in some cases. Kindness is contagious, so make a point to compliment your spouse, your kids, your boss, a stranger and anyone whenever you notice something good about them.
2. SMILE: The easiest thing you can do to improve your appearance each day is to simply smile. Even when it's raining and your hair is terrible, even if you feel a little frumpy, even if you aren't having a great day, a smile will make you much more attractive.
3. BRUSH WITH BAKING SODA: If you're going to be doing all that smiling, your teeth need to feel good too. Baking soda is an abrasive that helps clean stains and build up from your teeth. Brush with baking soda first, then toothpaste. And read more about this wonderful household cleaner: http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/oral-care/products/does-baking-soda-whiten-teeth.htm
4. HAVE A MEATLESS/Dairyless MEAL: Say What!!!??? Yep, you heard right. And you get extra bonus points if you eat RAW or lightly steamed vegetables for your meatless meal. French Fries and Mac & Cheese don't count. No cheese, egg or bacon on salads either. We can all use more vegetables in our lives....when we fill our plates with vegetables instead of meat, then we're naturally getting more nutrients. I was a milk addict for 40 years, so if I can do a meatless/dairyless meal, ANYONE CAN, including you for one meal. Actually, my 7 year old watched a movie on Netflix called Forks Over Knives and was so fascinated with it that he decided to not eat McDonald's for a whole month and he challenged our family to eat healthy for a month. We won't talk about him crying for cookies the next day, or the number of times we haven't stuck to it (I blame birthday parties!), BUT we do now eat about 95% plant based/whole foods and it's amazing how much energy I have since he challenged us. If anything, by loading up on veggies during your meatless meal, you'll get more vitamins and you won't have heartburn for at least one meal a day. So DARE TO DO IT.
Oops, I had loaded another picture..of me and my husband...but took it down because his boss may not want him appearing on the Augusta Boudoir blog, even fully clothed. haha! So here is a snapshot my husband took of me in 2008 right before I found out I was pregnant. I don't look anything like this now, but I'm working on it and will post a picture of myself in the future.
5. GET MOVING: It's true, exercising is like taking a happy pill. It puts you in an awesome mood for the rest of the day. I know personally because in 2008, was running 2 miles on most days of the week. Not only did I feel great, I looked great too. Then I got pregnant with my second child and promptly developed a taste for junk food again and my doctor told me no more running....so of course I put back on those 30 lbs and then some. Finally now in 2013 I have had a wake up call and I'm taking my health seriously again because my uncles are having heart attacks left and right *another one just the other day* and my mom had a stroke and heart problems by the time she was my age. I want to be healthy and active for my kiddos. Feeling better and being healthy is the main reason I am changing my lifestyle....but I am going to look even better than this picture again one day soon and exercise is a key part. But feeling better is the main goal, and looking great is a just a bonus. I'll post a new picture when I'm feeling THAT great again. :)